Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Garlicy Dog Biscuit recipe

J'adore dogs!

A great pet is such an asset to one's style of living. Walks force us to get outside, meet our neighbors and interact with each other.  Not that I personally have ANY problem with those things, I am simply advising you, my dear readers.  

It seems such a shame that we have to outlive such valuable friends on a regular basis. 

Oh don't get me started, this is one of the things on my list to talk to God about as soon as I sweep through the pearly gates.  How unfair to live through a series of BEST FRIENDS this way!

Should you be lucky enough to have a darling canine in your life let me pass along a favorite recipe.  I made this many times for my dear sweet angel.
Garlicky Dog Biscuits 

Preheat oven to 350 F.

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup powdered milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder or chopped garlic (not too much of this though, it is just to help repel fleas)
1 Tbs brown sugar
6 Tbs meat drippings (we always save the bacon grease at our house just for this)
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup water or bullion or stock

Blend the wet ingredients in a bowl, in another bowl blend the dry ingredients. Mix well. Combine the two bowls. With your hands make ball shapes (about as big a round as a quarter). Press flat and put onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 oven (or less as my oven runs hot). Remove from cookie sheet and let cool (put the dog out back so he wont be completely annoying waiting for these to cool).  Store in an airtight container (These also freeze well).

Note: Smart little doggies know exactly once you are up to once you have made these one time for them so don't worry about bone shaped cookie cutters as they pant and beg- just a small ball shape flattened will do fine.